Monday, May 24, 2010

Try something new - you might actually like it!

How many times do you hear at the dinner table, particularly with children, when offered something new "I don't like that!". More often than not it is said for something that has never even crossed their lips before. It might look or smell funny or different than what they are used to, or that it might seem silly to eat it.

Are you like that in life? When something new comes your way you baulk at it because it is not something that you are used to. You don't want to give it a try because of what people might think.

Who cares? No really, ask yourself, who cares? What do you really have to lose? Do you have anything to lose at all? Is it possible that you might just like it and, heaven forbid, actually find it to be enjoyable.

Put your hand up for that opportunity at work that you wanted, you might find a skill that you have not been able to use before. You might have found your niche, or even a new career path. You might make a life long friend or learn a new skill.

I think back to where this thought process came from, the dinner table with my children. The arguments over whether something has sauce on it, doesn't look the same or smells funny are never ending. It causes unnecessary stress for me and conflict for my family. I love those times where the kids happily try something new, a cheeky smile comes across their face as they say "mmmm nice". I am immediately relieved and know that there is another dish that I can add to my repertoire that I can make for everyone in the family. It basically pays dividends in the long run.

What are you going to try that will help pay dividends to your life in the future? What causes you inner conflict?

Should you care about what others think about you? Sometimes it is worthwhile taking the risk of looking silly, for the potential of what the future may hold.

What are you going to try new today, this week, or this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment