Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day: What I learn when I look at my children

Mother's day is an interesting time where we stop to thank and recognise our mums. For me its more about what my children have taught me.

The last couple of weeks my children have taught me about resilience, forgiveness and determination. I welled up when I saw my 11 year old daughter embrace a friend at the end of the State cross country to congratulate her for her placing. The same girl that deeply hurt her feelings earlier that week causing my daughter to come home in tears. Forgiveness at its best as she did not allow the situation to escalate but went back bravely to school to talk about it maturely instead of retaliating and allowing to cause her friendship to go toxic.

Determination is an incredible character trait which I have learnt from my 8 year old daughter. She naturally has the killer instinct and continues to go after what she wants. I am learning more that if there is something that I want, I need to stick at it and not give up. I have never seen an 8 year old so focussed on a goal and going hard for it.

So this Mother's Day I stop to thank my children for the lessons that they teach me. They continue to remind me of those simple lessons that we forget about as we get older. The simplicity of forgiveness, maturity to deal with adversity and determination to accomplish goals. Thank you girls for everything and being an amazing part of my life and journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment